Thursday, October 18, 2007

Smoking car

Dear Taryn,
My car is blowing out smoke and the brakes don't work. I don't want to sound dumb, but I don't know...should I be driving it??


Well, Beth, that is a very good question. The brakes not working does pose a bit of a problem, however the blowing out of smoke is certainly a good sign. You may ask Why is that, Taryn? I thought that smoke coming from a car was generally not a good sign. Well, although it may be indicative of some sort of a problem it does mean that your car is currently running or was recently running. You dont own a completely broken car! It also means that your engine is getting warm enough for smoke to come from the engine or for that brake fluid to burn off due to contact with the exhaust. So, in my opinion the smoke is a GOOD sign. Oh, and if that smoke for some reason isnt a result of the brake problem, maybe you dont have any oil in which case your engine is overheating and eventually will seize up that should put a stop to the no brakes issueyoull probably be stopping real well. But, anyways, as long as you can make that car of yours move, KEEP DRIVING IT and enjoy the summer.I did discuss this problem with one of my co-advisors and in his opinion the smoke might actually be the soul of the car escaping. So, you might want to look into that as a possibility as well.
Your trusty expert on life -
TARYN

No comments: